Classroom activity: Colonization
Directions: Use the content from the Bee in a Box website to help answer the following questions:
- How has William Blackstone’s Commentaries on the Laws of England helped the Supreme Court over the years?
- Why was Thomas Hooker forced to leave England?
- Why is Thomas Hooker sometimes referred to as the “Father of American Democracy”?
- Why was Anne Hutchinson exiled from Massachusetts Bay Colony?
- How does Anne Hutchinson’s experience later influence the founding fathers attitude toward religion when they wrote the Bill of Rights?
- What experience in William Penn’s background led him to desire a colony with religious freedom?
- Provide examples of policies in William Penn’s colony Pennsylvania that later influenced the founders when they wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
John Peter Zenger
- Why was John Peter Zenger charged with seditious libel?
- Describe several features of the John Peter Zenger trial that would be illegal today.
- Explain why they would be illegal?
Mayflower Compact and Fundamental Orders of Connecticut
- Explain how the Mayflower Compact and the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut are examples of early forms of representative government in the colonies.
Navigation Acts of the 1650’s
- Explain how the Navigation Acts of the 1650’s exemplified Britain’s mercantilist policy?
- Why were the Navigation Acts of the 1650’s enforced after the French and Indian War and what effect did this have?
Albany Plan of Union
- Despite the Albany Plan of Union never being formally adopted by the colonies, why was it important?
- Why were some colonies hesitant to adopt the Albany Plan of Union?
Join or Die Cartoon
- Why was the Join or Die Cartoon significant? Treaty of Paris
- How did the Treaty of Paris alter the colonial land holdings in North American?
The Transatlantic Slave Trade
- Explain how slaves were part of the Triangular Trade?
Founding of Jamestown
- How might the outcome of Jamestown been different if both John Smith and John Rolfe had not been present?
- Creation of the House of Burgesses
Why is the meeting of the House of Burgesses important?
Establishment of Mercantilism
- Explain how Mercantilism works.
- How can Mercantilism be seen as a cause of the American Revolution?
- Why were Nathanial Bacon and his followers inspired to revolt?
First Great Awakening
- Describe the First Great Awakening and explain how it influenced American History?
French and Indian War (Seven Year’s War)
- Despite the French and Indian War being a victory for the British and the American colonists, what was an unintended consequence of that victory?