Classroom activity: Age of Jackson
Directions: Use the content from the Citizen Bee website and inferencing skills to answer the following questions.
John Quincy Adams
- What are some unique characteristics of John Quincy Adams?
- How are these characteristics different from characteristics of Andrew Jackson?
- What does it mean to be a “populist” candidate?
- What were some reasons to support the idea that Andrew Jackson was a “populist” candidate and president?
Tariff of 1828
- What is the purpose of a tariff? Why was the Tariff of 1828 considered a protective tariff?
- Why did the South resent the Tariff of 1828?
Indian Removal Act
- What was the reason President Jackson supported the Indian Removal Act?
- What were two effects of the Indian Removal Act?
Cherokee Nation v. Georgia
- What was Chief Justice Marshall’s reasoning when he said the Supreme Court did not have jurisdiction (the right to hear a case) of Cherokee Nation v. Georgia?
Worcester v. Georgia
- Why is Worcester v. Georgia considered a victory if one only reads the decision of the Supreme Court in this case?
- Why is Worcester v. Georgia considered a defeat and tragedy when one looks at what happened to the Indians after the decision of the Supreme Court?
Election of 1824
- Why did the House of Representatives select the President in the Election of 1824?
- What is the so called “Corrupt Bargain” and how did it determine the final winner in theelection?
Election of 1828
- How did Andrew Jackson appeal to the “common man” in the Election of 1828 that made Andrew Jackson the most popular candidate?
- How did Jackson use the spoils system?
- What did John C. Calhoun mean when he said the “Tariff of Abominations” (the Tariff of 1828) should be declared null and void?
- What did John C. Calhoun threaten that South Carolina would do if the federal government tried to enforce the Tariff of 1828?
- How did the Nullification Crisis end?
Trail of Tears
- What was the result of the Trail of Tears on the Native Americans?
- What happened to the land that the Native Americans were forced to vacate (leave)?
- What happened because of the closing of the Second Bank of the United States?