Classroom activity: Westward Expansion
Directions: Use the content from the Citizen Bee website and inferencing skills to answer the following questions.
John James Audubon
- How does the work of John James Audubon illustrate the pioneer spirit of the Westward Expansion Era?
- What aspects of Sam Houston’s life made him a good choice for Alexis de Tocqueville to use as an example of what it meant to be American?
Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
- How did the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo play a role in the fulfillment of the dream of Manifest Destiny?
- What were the benefits of the Louisiana Purchase to the United States?
- What problems did the purchase create?
Lewis and Clark Expedition
- What did Lewis and Clark hope to find on their expedition of the Louisiana Purchase?
Acquisition of Florida
- Why was Spain willing to cede Florida to the United States for $5 million?
- How did the acquisition of Florida make the Indian problem worse?
- How would you explain the meaning of “sea to shining sea?”
- How did the advancements in transportation such as the railroads, roads, canals, and bridges support the idea of Manifest Destiny?
- Explain the meaning of “54°40’ or Fight!”
- Describe the route of the Mormon Trail and how the Mormons contributed to the development of the United States.
- What issue kept some in the United States from accepting Texas into the Union?
Mexican American War
- How did the annexation of Texas lead to war with Mexico?
- Who were the Forty-Niners and how did they get their name?
- What role did Forty-Niners play in the settlement of California?
- What is the major reason that the U.S. paid the Mexican government $10 million dollars for approximately 30,000 square miles which is desert?